Thursday, October 11, 2012

SO CLOSE, AND YET, SO FAR

I am writing this blog with very mixed feelings, because yesterday afternoon my dreams of racing in the Ironman World Championship this coming Saturday came to an abrupt halt when I crashed on my bike training ride. I suppose, I will probably never know what and how it had happened other than I had ended up in the local hospital with bruises and a broken left clavicle.

Athlete #538 will not open this packet for Saturday

I want my family and friends to know that I am OK and recovering well from the accident. All my cognitive, motor, and sensory functions are intact. It is, nevertheless, a bittersweet day knowing that my plans for this Saturday have been altered in such a way, but also knowing that I will be fine and back on the racing circuit, again. They do not call us the Ironman for nothing. Right?

Before going any further, I must say that I am most fortunate to have such great family and friends. I know, this news has upset Kasia, Damian i Ania, but on the flip-side, Kasia is due to touch down in Kona in a few hours. My deepest words of thank you go to Alison, Kukui, Nani and David, my host friends in Waimea. Words themselves will not describe how I feel and how grateful I am for their hospitality and support. THANK YOU SO MUCH for being a part of my family.

Thank you to all of you for your kind words and best race-day wishes :o) I will keep you posted and continue to report from the Big Island. Its a beautiful day out there, today, but the wind is especially angry today :o) I can hear it laud and clear outside the house, as I write this blog.

I had to stop an take this picture on my way back from Hawii. Nothing but the lava fields and the Pacific Ocean

Hawii, a small, but a famous town to the world of triathlon. The bike turn-around is right here

And this is a less glamorous picture - though all smiles. Trust me, helmets save lives :o)

What a majestic view of the mountain taking from Alison's front yard. Through it goes another passage road to Hawii. I was up there on my training run earlier that morning

So, Mahalo, Aloha, and stay tuned :o)